IEUpgrade: Immersion Event on Upgrading and New Features
Chicago, IL, US: May 1-3, 2019
This 3/400-level, 3-day, SQL Server training class is designed to help you justify, plan and implement a successful upgrade and migration from a legacy version of SQL Server (SQL Server 2005 or newer), to a currently supported version of SQL Server (SQL Server 2012 or newer).
This class will give you a wealth of practical techniques that you can use as soon as you return to work. We will cover license, feature, and performance differences between SQL Server 2016/2017 Standard Edition and SQL Server 2016/2017 Enterprise Edition. We give you extremely useful information about new features in SQL Server 2012-2017 to help you make the technical and business case for an upgrade.
We will have detailed information about how to select and configure your hardware and storage to maximize your performance and minimize your SQL Server license costs, whether it is deployed bare-metal on-premises, virtualized on-premises, or in a Windows Azure VM (IaaS).
We will cover how to properly install and configure SQL Server 2016/2017 for the best performance and reliability. We will also demonstrate how to use the Microsoft Data Migration Assistant and the Microsoft Database Experimentation Assistant to help discover issues that could prevent a successful upgrade and migration.
There will also be extensive coverage of how to plan and implement a successful production migration with minimal downtime and no data loss.
All these topics will be addressed on multiple fronts: with planning and implementation considerations and techniques, common problems, troubleshooting, and multiple demonstrations.
Our aim is that you can apply what we teach you to any upgrade and migration situation and justify your solution to your peers, management, or clients (yes, we welcome SQL Server consultants in our classes).
This course is useful and relevant regardless of whether you have attended any other SQLskills IE courses or not.
This course will cover SQL Server 2005 through SQL Server 2017, and is essential for all SQL Server DBAs, and architects. We will answer all your questions, to whatever depth you want to go.
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Wednesday/Thursday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Friday
- Detailed agenda:
- 7:45am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break (lunch is provided as part of the class)
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Friday)
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we do end at 5:00pm on Friday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all possible classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are all-day coffee/tea/soda, full breakfast, snacks and buffet lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 16 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Hilton Suites Chicago/Oak Brook. We’ve held more than fifty Immersion Events here since 2011.
- This hotel is 20 minutes from O’Hare airport and is near a large mall with many amenities.
- The hotel has a special rate for our event, for a two-room suite, of US$134/night.
- Please use the reservation link HERE to access the special rate.
- RESERVE YOUR HOTEL NIGHTS EARLY: SQLskills has a LIMITED number of rooms reserved under our group rate and these usually sell out. Even if you’re waiting to officially register for the class – you might want to get your hotel room setup early (ASAP) to ensure that you get the discounted/group rate and that you’re at the hotel where the event is being held. Most importantly, the earlier you get your hotel reservations confirmed, the easier it is for us to add rooms to our block. Thanks so much for helping us out with this!
- The hotel rate includes:
- Onsite parking.
- Wireless internet access for the entire stay.
- Full breakfast on departure morning.
- Full American breakfast during the Immersion Event will be served as part of class from 7:45am until 8:30am.
- Class begins at 8:30am every day.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$2,495.
- Early-bird rate is US$2,195 for registrations received by end-of-day PST Friday, February 22nd, 2019.
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for US$1,995. Please contact us for instructions.
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
- Your class registration can only be canceled up to 6 calendar weeks before the day the class begins, and the cost will be refunded minus a US$250 administration fee (and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable).
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend the class the registration is for, at any time and at no cost.
- Registrations can be transferred to a future class at any time before the day the class starts, but for transfers within two weeks of class, there is a US$450 fee to cover our prepaid event costs. Note: A registration cannot be canceled once it has been transferred to a future class.
- A no-show registration (the attendee does not attend the class) is not eligible for a transfer or refund.
Click HERE to go to our events registration page, and please make sure to select the correct class from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.