IEAzure: Immersion Event on Azure SQL Database and Azure VMs
London, UK: September 10-11, 2018 (SOLD OUT!)
This 3/400-level, 2-day, SQL Server training class is designed to help you gain a deep understanding about Microsoft Azure, including Azure virtual machines and Azure SQL Database.
The class will give you a wealth of practical knowledge on creating and configuring Azure virtual machines as well as installing and configuring Microsoft SQL Server on those virtual machines. You’ll learn about compliance, networking, active directory integration, maintenance considerations, high availability and disaster recovery options, and how to scale performance. Various billing considerations and licensing options for SQL Server on Azure virtual machines will be covered in detail.
One student in the first ever IEAzure in 2017 learned how they’d over-estimated their usage and was immediately able to save their company US$48,000/year in Azure costs!
The class will then dive deep into Azure SQL Database, covering its numerous features such as restore services, Dynamic Data Masking, Row-Level Security, Always Encrypted, Query Store, Index Advisor, and Geo-Replication. We’ll also discuss what I call “unsupported features” (things you may be used to the on the box version of SQL Server that Azure SQL Database does not have) and explore the various Azure SQL Database pricing tiers and using the DTU calculator.
You’ll learn how to create Azure SQL Databases and methodologies for migrating your on-premises databases to Azure, different ways of connecting to Azure and methodologies for tuning, plus maintenance considerations and built-in/external monitoring and alerting.
Finally, you’ll get a high-level introduction to additional Azure features such as Azure SQL Database Warehouse, Azure Data Factory, and Power BI.
This course will provide you with enough knowledge and material that when you get back to the office, you’ll feel comfortable to help plan and implement a migration to Azure virtual machines and/or Azure SQL Database.
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Instructors: Tim Radney
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Monday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Tuesday
- Detailed agenda:
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break (lunch is provided as part of the class)
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Tuesday)
- 8:30am Class begins
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Tuesday: we do end at 5:00pm on Tuesday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions and we often push out the 5:45pm endings earlier in the week if things are running behind but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- Monday evening: “Meet-n-Greet” in the bar. We’ll open a tab and pick up the first round so we can get to know each other better and wind down from the first day.
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all possible classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are all-day coffee/tea, snacks and buffet lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility). Note: pre-class breakfast is not provided unless you are staying at the hotel.
- Class size is limited to 12 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Marriott in Kensington (London).
- This hotel is well placed for transport and tourism in London.
- The hotel has a special rate for our events at 185 GBP for single occupancy (*including* VAT). NOTE: This rate ends July 15th and we cannot add rooms at the special rate after that. Please book your hotel as early as possible.
- Please use this link to access the special rate.
- The hotel rate includes:
- Wireless internet
- Full English breakfast every day
- Please note that we are unable to provide assistance with hotel and travel arrangements.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$1,695 plus VAT where required.
- Early-bird rate is US$1,495 plus VAT where required for registrations received by end-of-day PST Friday, July 13th, 2018.
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for US$1,395 plus VAT where required. Please contact us for instructions.
- Important: VAT Since we are a US supplier we are categorized as a reverse charge supplier for all UK businesses.
- For UK businesses, you must self-account for the VAT charge; if your country is listed as UK, we will NOT charge VAT and you will be directed to online credit card/wire transfer processing for your payment at the time of registration.
- If you are outside of the UK, we must charge VAT. The VAT rate is 20%. For non-UK businesses, we will send you a VAT invoice, with our VAT number included.
- For all credit card charges, you will be charged in US$ (with VAT, if applicable) and your credit card statement will reflect the charge in your home currency. If you are paying VAT an invoice will be sent to you with your payment details in GBP – conversion from US$ to GBP done on the day of credit card processing.
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
- Your class registration can only be canceled up to 6 calendar weeks before the day the class begins, and the cost will be refunded minus a US$250 administration fee (and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable).
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend the class the registration is for, at any time and at no cost.
- A no-show registration (the attendee does not attend the class) is not eligible for a transfer or refund.
If you have any questions, please contact us.