Recently I had the occasion to load .NET 3.5 on to a machine that had an existing instance of SQL Server 2005. .NET 3.5 does not work by versioning the “main .NET assemblies” (e.g. there is no “version 3.5″ of mscorlib.dll, System.dll) but by replacing the 2.0 versions of them. You can observe this by inspecting the 4-part version number. For example System.dll (in \windows\Microsoft.NET, Framework\2.0.50727 as well as in the GAC) changed from version 2.0.50727.42 to 2.0.50727.1433 when I installed .NET 3.5. As an aside, when I installed Vista SP1 recently (I think this is what triggered it) System.dll went to version 2.0.50727.1434.


SQLCLR (using SQL Server as a .NET runtime host) will load a series of “approved” assemblies by directly using the fusion APIs. However there are less than 20 approved assemblies for SQL Server 2005 and sometimes people will write SQLCLR code using assemblies that aren’t of the approved list. The two most common cases I’ve seen include using System.DirectoryServices.dll or some of the WCF client assemblies. Neither is on the approved list.


Although using system assemblies outside the approved list is discouraged, it IS possible. The resulting (user) assembly must be cataloged as UNSAFE and the CREATE ASSEMBLY process will catalog not only the original user assembly and referenced “system” assembly but, because of the way assembly dependancies work, quite a few (I’ve seen up to 20) dependent system assemblies. You can see the user assembly and all dependent system assemblies in the SQL Server metadata table “sys.assemblies”. You also receive warnings that “assembly xyz has not been tested in this environment”.


I’ve always said that if you use system assemblies that are not in the “approved” list, you now shift the responsibility of managing those assemblies to *you*, the SQL Server application programmer and/or DBA.


So what does this have to do with .NET 3.5 and SQL Server? It’s a little known fact that when SQL Server loads a “user” assembly, it will check to see if a similar assembly (ie assembly with the same strong name and version) exists in the GAC (.NET global assembly cache). If the user assembly in SQL Server and the user assembly version in the GAC have the same .NET version number but a different MVID, SQL Server will refuse to load the assembly (from SQL Server’s system catalog) and throw an exception.


As pre-requisite information, all of the “main” system assemblies (like System.dll) have a GAC version number of 2.0.0.0 even though the actual version number may be 2.0.50727.42. Or 2.0.50727.1433. You can see this by inspecting the GAC. And…an MVID is a .NET module version identifier. This is different from the version number, even non-strong named assemblies have MVIDs. The module version identifier is a GUID that changes *each time* an assembly is reassembled.


You can prove that the GAC/MVID check occurs by cataloging a user assembly to SQL Server and to the GAC, then recompiling/changing the assembly in the GAC (only MVID, not version number) but not the version in SQL Server. The resulting error after the the GAC’d version is changed is:


Msg 10314, Level 16, State 11, Line 1
An error occurred in the Microsoft .NET Framework while trying to load assembly id 65536. The server may be running out of resources, or the assembly may not be trusted with PERMISSION_SET = EXTERNAL_ACCESS or UNSAFE…. (rest of message elided).


But again, what’s this got to do with .NET 3.5? I cataloged two assemblies to SQL Server 2005 prior to installer .NET 3.5. One assembly simply did mathematics (catalog as SAFE), one used an assembly that wasn’t from the “approved” list, System.Remoting.dll (catalog as UNSAFE, it brings in about 15 dependent system assemblies that are not on the approved list). User-defined functions as these assemblies were also cataloged and worked fine.


Now install .NET 3.5. This changes the MVIDs (but not the version) of some of the System GAC’d assemblies. The SAFE assemblies that refer only to system assemblies on the “approved list are unaffected”. My mathematics assembly/function still worked great. My UseRemoting assembly/function WAS affected. The resulting error is:


Msg 6522, Level 16, State 1, Procedure doIt, Line 0
A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate “doIt”:
System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Runtime.Remoting, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089′ or one of its dependencies. Assembly in host store has a different signature than assembly in GAC.


(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131050)
System.IO.FileLoadException:
   at UseRemoting.Class1.DoIt()


So what’s the moral of the story? If you stick to the assemblies on the approved list you are fine. Fusion loader will get the latest version for you, no changes are needed, although you want to test your user assembly again in the new environment. But by using assemblies not on the approved list YOU take responsibility for the assembly. After installing a new version on .NET that changes system assemblies that you use, don’t forget to DROP your user assembly (this should also drop all the old dependent system assemblies), recompile and retest your user assembly (always a good practice) and then run CREATE ASSEMBLY again. All should be well, because your “unapproved” assemblies are the same version the GAC uses.


As an aside, but an advance warning, SQL Server 2005 does NOT need .NET 3.5. But SQL Server 2008 DOES use .NET 3.5 and installs it as part of SQL Server 2008 install. See previous paragraph.


Hope this helps.