I’ve just released our final US classes this year for registration!
We’ve revamped our IE1 and IE2 classes so they’re now both focused on performance and together they form a comprehensive, 10-day performance tuning and optimization course.
- IE1 is now IEPTO1: Immersion Event on Performance Tuning and Optimization – Part 1 (see here for the revamped curriculum)
- From the curriculum: As well as optimization techniques, this course will also help with design and architecture so you can prevent performance and scalability problems from happening. The cores of this class are comprehensive coverage of indexing and statistics strategies: a SQL Server workload will not perform well unless these are designed, implemented, and tuned correctly. You will also learn why and how to optimize transaction log operations, tempdb and data file configuration, transactions and isolation levels, and locking and blocking.
- IE2 is now IEPTO2: Immersion Event on Performance Tuning and Optimization – Part 2 (see here for the revamped curriculum)
- From the curriculum: The core of this class is understanding resource usage and we will cover in-depth all the areas of concern for a SQL Server workload: I/O, CPU usage, memory usage, query plans, statement execution, parameter sniffing and procedural code, deadlocking, and the plan cache. You will learn how to use specific tools and techniques for analyzing SQL Server: creating and using performance baselines, benchmarking tools, wait and latch statistics, Extended Events, DMVs, and PerfMon. These techniques will be highly adaptable to whatever situation you encounter and you will understand not just how to capture performance data but also how to interpret it, so you can derive answers to your own performance problems rather than relying on someone giving you the answer.
As before, these classes both stand alone perfectly well, but we strongly recommend taking IEPTO1 before IEPTO2 as all its knowledge is assumed in IEPTO2.
If you’ve taken IE1 previously, you don’t need to go back and take IEPTO1. If you’ve already taken IE1, IEPTO2 is the next course for you. If you’ve already taken IE2 but not IE1, we recommend you take IEPTO1.
Our classes in October will be in Chicago, at our usual hotel in Oakbrook Terrace:
- IE0: Immersion Event for Junior/Accidental DBAs
- October 6-8
- IEPTO1: Immersion Event on P.T.O. – Part 1
- October 6-10 – special super-early-bird pricing through July!
- IEPTO2: Immersion Event on P.T.O. – Part 2
- October 13-17 – special super-early-bird pricing through July!
You can get all the logistical, registration, and curriculum details by drilling down from our main schedule page.
We hope to see you there!
2 thoughts on “Revamped IE1 and IE2 classes open for registration in October”
Is it fair to say if I have taken the old IE1 I can start at IEPTO2 without missing too much?