Date & Time: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 – 6:30-9pm
Evening theme/title: SQL Server – Are you talking to me?
Groups/Target Audience: SQL Server and .NET User Groups, anyone that works with SQL Server that wants to talk techie on Tuesday evening
Cost: FREE (but, you must register; link at the end of this post)
Presenters: Kimberly L. Tripp & Jonathan Kehayias, SQLskills.com
Abstract: Our title seems strange but it runs across multiple themes. First we’ll take a look at Service Broker in SQL Server and how it can extend service oriented architectures into the data tier with asynchronous message processing. As for the other theme, database developers, DBAs, architects – don’t always talk to each other. In this evening session, we’ll cover a mix of really interesting topics that help bridge the gap across these disciplines. Reading plans and understanding plans with Plan Explorer (both the free and the Pro versions will be discussed) – this is something everyone should be able to do. And, we’ll raffle off a PE Pro Edition (thanks SQL Sentry) in addition to talking about the FREE Plan Explorer. Then, we’ll dive into statement execution methods and plan cache. Different coding strategies on our servers can have a profound effect on both cache and performance. But, how can you write more effective code that takes less caching and has better plans? Some of this content comes from a newly released Pluralsight course titled: SQL Server – Optimizing Ad Hoc Statement Performance and for those of you that attend – Pluralsight will give you a monthly trial. And, we’ll also raffle off two Annual Plus subscriptions (thanks Pluralsight)!
How can we all just get along? Come to this fast-paced, demo-packed session led by industry-experts Kimberly L. Tripp and Jonathan Kehayias of SQLskills. And, after the presentation, Kimberly, Jonathan, and Paul Randal (also of SQLskills) will hang out for an open Q&A on almost-anything-SQL. We’ll post a list of topics and open up the floor!
- 6:30pm – Pizza (thanks Pluralsight & SQL Sentry), networking, settling in
- Service Broker (~15 mins) – Jonathan Kehayias
- SQL Sentry’s Plan Explorer (~15 mins) – Jonathan Kehayias
- Statement Execution (~15 mins) – Kimberly L. Tripp
- Plan Cache (~15 mins) – Kimberly L. Tripp
- 8:15pm – Raffles (must be present to win)
- SQL Sentry Plan Explorer Pro License
- Pluralsight Annual Plus Subscriptions
- $100 off (per day) for an Immersion Event of your choice (maximum value $500 for a 5-day event)
- Everyone – 30-day trial subscription to Pluralsight
- 8:30pm – Open Q&A (all 3 of us)
11 Times Square (west 41st street and 8th avenue)
New York, NY 10036
Check-in with security in the lobby and then you’ll proceed to the 9th floor. Our meeting will be held in the Music Box/Winter Garden MPR.