IEPS: Immersion Event on PowerShell for SQL Server DBAs
Chicago, IL, US: April 30-May 2, 2018
This 1-300-level, 3-day training class was created to teach database management using PowerShell. Developed by Ben Miller, the training is focused around instruction and demos. A hands-on approach is also possible if desired. Most technologists learn things by doing but this technology can be learned by seeing and then practicing with the tools provided that you can take with you. The scripts and tools will be immediately usable when you get back to the office, so bring your learning hat and get ready to PowerShell.
At the completion of this training you will have been exposed to the following:
- Installation and configuration of PowerShell
- Use of the ISE that comes with PowerShell
- Shared Management Objects (SMO) for SQL Server
- Programming concepts in PowerShell
- Modules and scripts to manage SQL Server
- Gathering data for analysis using PowerShell both with SMO and T-SQL
- Repositories that contain scripts that you can leverage in your daily work
Prerequisites: No experience with PowerShell is required as we will cover the basics from beginning to becoming proficient in connecting to and managing a SQL Server and its databases. It is helpful (but not required) that students possess some knowledge of and experience with scripting languages or coding in general and T-SQL counts. SQL Server knowledge / experience will be more helpful than experience and knowledge of PowerShell.
Bring Your Own Laptop: You can bring your laptop but it is not required. You will be given a copy of the scripts used as well as all the information discussed in class. If you bring your laptop and want to participate, you should have SQL Server installed on your laptop. It can be any version from SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2016, and Express Edition will work for the scripts we will use. Note that there will not be a classroom computer provided for you.
Target audience: Database professionals or Dev Ops professionals that want a way to scale management of database servers and databases.
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Instructor: Ben Miller (Click for bio.)
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Monday and Tuesday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Wednesday.
- Detailed agenda:
- 7:45am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break (lunch is provided as part of the class)
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Wednesday)
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Thursday: we do end at 5:00pm on Wednesday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions and we often push out the 5:45pm endings earlier in the week if things are running behind but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- Monday evening: “Meet-n-Greet” in the bar. We’ll open a tab and pick up the first round so we can get to know each other better and wind down from the first day.
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all classroom demo content on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are all-day coffee/tea/soda, full breakfast, snacks and buffet lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 16 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Hilton Suites Chicago/Oak Brook. We’ve held more than fifty Immersion Events here since 2011.
- This hotel is 20 minutes from O’Hare airport and is near a large mall with many amenities.
- The hotel has a special rate for our event, for a two-room suite, of US$134/night.
- Please use the reservation link HERE to access the special rate.
- RESERVE YOUR HOTEL NIGHTS EARLY: SQLskills has a LIMITED number of rooms reserved under our group rate and these usually sell out. Even if you’re waiting to officially register for the class – you might want to get your hotel room setup early (ASAP) to ensure that you get the discounted/group rate and that you’re at the hotel where the event is being held. Most importantly, the earlier you get your hotel reservations confirmed, the easier it is for us to add rooms to our block. Thanks so much for helping us out with this!
- The hotel rate includes:
- Onsite parking.
- Wireless internet access for the entire stay.
- Full breakfast on departure morning.
- Full American breakfast during the Immersion Event will be served as part of class from 7:45am until 8:30am.
- Class begins at 8:30am every day.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$2,495.
- Early-bird rate is US$2,195 for registrations received by end-of-day PST Friday, March 2nd, 2018.
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for US$1,995. Please contact us for instructions.
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
- Your class registration can only be canceled up to 6 calendar weeks before the day the class begins, and the cost will be refunded minus a US$250 administration fee (and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable).
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend the class the registration is for, at any time and at no cost.
- Registrations can be transferred to a future class at any time before the day the class starts, but for transfers within two weeks of class, there is a US$450 fee to cover our prepaid event costs. Note: A registration cannot be canceled once it has been transferred to a future class.
- A no-show registration (the attendee does not attend the class) is not eligible for a transfer or refund.
Click HERE to go to our events registration page, and please make sure to select the correct class from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.