2015 SQL Server Demos and Sample Databases
As used in many conference sessions, these sample databases are useful for learning and reproducing the behavior of most demos. Credit is used in many performance-related demos. SalesDB is used in many “online operations” demos. Unzip and restore (possibly, WITH MOVE) to use.
- 2000 Credit Sample Database (48MB zip/155MB backup/700MB restore)
- 2008 Credit Sample Database (52MB zip/53MB compressed backup/700MB restore)
- 2008 SalesDB Sample Database (18MB zip/196MB backup/240MB restore)
- 2014 SalesDB Sample Database (28MB compressed backup/240MB restore)
- 2008 IndexInternals Sample Database (6MB zip/6MB backup/410MB restore)
- Note: This database was originally created for the Microsoft Press book SQL Server 2008 Internals. Review this blog post for more information and an SSMS solution file with a number of scripts on internals.
- Baseball Stats Sample Database (23MB zip/110MB backup)
- Note: This is based on the Lahman baseball database from here.
SAMPLE CORRUPT DATABASES
These zip files contain the common corrupt databases that Paul uses for some of the DBCC CHECKDB demos. Some of the databases will only work on some versions of SQL Server so for instructions, see this blog post for details. Unzip and restore (possibly, WITH MOVE) to use.
- 2000 Corrupt Database (40KB zip/~1MB restored)
- Sample Corrupt Databases (36MB zip/~400MB restored)
- Sample 2008 Fatal Corruption Databases (232KB zip/~3MB restored)
- Sample 2008 R2 Fatal Corruption Databases (260KB zip/~3MB restored)
- Sample 2008 R2 Metadata Corruption Database (90KB zip/~3MB restored)
SQLintersection Spring 2015 (May 17-21, Scottsdale, AZ, US)
Precon: Performance Tuning Using Waits and Latches (Paul) Demo scripts and whiteboard PDF (password in slides handout for attendees only)
Precon: Very Large Tables: Optimizing Performance and Availability through Partitioning (Kimberly) Demo scripts and whiteboard PDF (password in slides handout for attendees only)
Session: Transaction Log Performance (Paul) Demo scripts
Session: Advanced Data Recovery Techniques (Paul) Demo scripts
Session: Anatomy of a Data Modification:Locking and Isolation (Kimberly) Demo scripts
Session: SQL Server Index Structures and Options (Kimberly) Demo scripts
Session: SQL Server Indexing for Performance (Kimberly) Demo scripts
Session: Understanding SQL Backups and Restores (Tim) Demo scripts
Session: Tackling Query Plans, Part 1 – The Basics (Erin) Demo scripts
Session: Tackling Query Plans, Part 2 – The Frustrations (Erin) Demo scripts
Session: Updating Statistics Affects Query Performance More Than You Think (Erin) Demo scripts