IEVLT: Immersion Event on Very Large Tables: Optimizing Performance and Availability through Partitioning
Live Online: October 29-31, 2019
Very large tables are large because they’re holding data that’s not only current but historical. Companies are keeping more data around longer and wanting to better evaluate that data for trends over time. These larger-and-larger data sets become difficult to deal with as there are many distinct and often conflicting access patterns, from the critical “hot” data needing to be inserted, to the somewhat recent “read-mostly” data that’s still fairly active, to the older data that’s rarely used but still needed. All of this is “sales” data and it seems appropriate to have it stored in our “sales” table – but how do we do this efficiently and effectively so that modifications do not affect queries and queries do not affect modifications. Worse yet, maintenance is needed for the volatile data but not the older / static data so how can we do this on our large tables when really only a small portion of the table needs maintenance.
But, it’s really a lot more than this. There have long been features (partitioned tables since SQL Server 2005, and partitioned views since SQL Server 7.0) that tackle various aspects of the “VLT” problem but each feature has problems in and of itself. What this class does is directly address all of the problems to show you a realistic and powerful architecture that gives you the best of all worlds: scalability, maintainability, and high-availability.
This class is delivered live via online streaming. By dedicating only 3 half-days of your time for 9 hours of lecture and up to 4.5 hours of open Q&A, this is an amazing ROI while you can still get work done during your day!
Instructor: Kimberly L. Tripp.
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
Quotes from attendees of the first online IEVLT in January 2018:
- “Kimberly is incredibly knowledgeable and was able to adapt the techniques to all the different scenarios presented to her.”
- “The best educator I’ve ever seen. She makes complex concepts “magically” easy to grasp. Incred-amazing.”
- “Great course. I could hear clearly, the content was relevant to current day problems, and provided clear instruction.”
- “This was REALLY good. Getting to an IE is tough there are only a few a year and more importantly because there are only a few they cover a pretty broad range of information. Since I do mainly database design and query tuning, I can’t justify much beyond IE1 as I don’t do day to day DBA work. Seeing you were offering the online event focused on a specific topic – very large tables – was PERFECT. I know I really need to improve my knowledge of the options in that area. I recalled the PV/PT architecture from IE1 and knew a refresher, coupled with the new information would be perfect. The cost was BEYOND reasonable. The time frame, at only about 1/2 a day, was easy to justify and easy to manage keeping up with regular work while I did it. So this worked out to be a perfect event.” – Todd Everett, USA
- “SLIGHTLY prefer the classroom option, but attendance to a location can be very hard to manage and therefore WebEx is a VERY, VERY good alternative. I didn’t think it would be, but I’m definitely sold.” – Kevin Urquhart, UK
- “I’m really glad I decided to participate in this event. I learnt a lot and I already see lots of opportunities to implement some of the strategies at my workplace (after working through all the materials of course :P).” – Ernst Kruger, South Africa
- “Loved the online aspect. It felt like I was there with the question ability and having the questions just answered right there. I felt I had a voice and could ask anything and the ability to watch it later made it totally worth the registration.”
- “Always love to sit at the feet of Kimberly. Always learn a ton.”
- “I struggled with WebEx at first… felt a little like watching a video… BUT the moment it became interactive (which was very early on), that whole perception changed. By the end I REALLY enjoyed it as a method.”
- “I really enjoyed the ability to ask questions as the course went along so that I didn’t forget what I wanted to ask while you were teaching. This allowed for questions to come through and class to continue until a good stopping point to answer the questions. Plus having the questions written from other attendees was nice for future reference instead of trying to remember from an in-person class discussion.”
- “Kimberly, I have to tell you that you are hands down the finest educator I have ever met. Your dynamic personality, combined with your depth of knowledge, and passion to fully understand the subject matter are unmatched, in my experience. I feel truly privileged to have had the opportunity to learn from you again and again. You really DO make learning fun. Thank you!” – Mike Petri, USA
- “I learned a lot of new topics and found this class really useful. Usually when I attend a class or an in person event I learn new things but no where near this class. Thanks for a great class.”
- The class will be streamed live through three WebEx meetings and you will receive an email invitation to the meetings a few days before the class. You will be prompted to download the streaming application when connecting to the first meeting. Note: your name may appear on the participant list in the event recordings.
- Class will be spread over three days, from Tuesday, October 29th, 2019 through Thursday, October 31st, 2019.
- Detailed agenda for each day (all times are in Pacific Standard Time)
- 10am to 11:30am: morning session
- 11:30am to 12pm: morning Q&A
- 12pm to 12:30pm: break
- 12:30pm to 2pm: afternoon session
- 2pm to 3pm: afternoon Q&A
- You will receive a PDF of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all possible demo content and any electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- The class will be recorded and you will receive lifetime access to the recordings, including all audio and video.
- Full price for this online Immersion Event is US$495 for all attendees.
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register at any time for US$395. Please contact us for instructions.
- Your class registration can only be canceled up to 1 calendar week before the day the class begins, and the cost will be refunded minus a US$50 administration fee (and 5% credit-card processing charges).
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend the class, up to one day prior to the first meeting and at no cost, as long as we are notified of the new attendee’s name.
- A no-show registration (the attendee does not attend the class) is not eligible for a transfer or refund.
Click HERE to go to our events registration page, and please make sure to select the correct class from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.