SQL Server Performance Tuning Using Wait Statistics: A Beginner’s Guide
Understanding the time a session spends waiting inside of SQL Server is an incredibly important part of performance tuning and diagnosing problems during normal troubleshooting. This whitepaper provides an introduction into the world of performance tuning using wait statistics in SQL Server and explains common wait types and what they do and do not mean in the context of performance tuning and troubleshooting.
In conjunction with the whitepaper, see our new Wait Types and Latch Classes Library for detailed information – see here for details.
Table of Contents
- The SQLOS scheduler and thread scheduling
- Using wait statistics for performance tuning
- Investigating active-but-blocked requests using sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks
- Analyzing historical wait statistics using sys.dm_os_wait_stats
- Common wait types
- Wait statistics baselines
- Further reading
- About the authors
- About the technical editor
Download the full whitepaper PDF: SQL Server Performance Tuning Using Wait Statistics.