IEAzure: Immersion Event on Azure SQL Database and Azure VMs
Chicago, IL, US: April 26-27, 2018 ** SOLD OUT! **
This 3/400-level, 2-day, SQL Server training class is designed to help you gain a deep understanding about Microsoft Azure, including Azure virtual machines and Azure SQL Database.
The class will give you a wealth of practical knowledge on creating and configuring Azure virtual machines as well as installing and configuring Microsoft SQL Server on those virtual machines. You’ll learn about compliance, networking, active directory integration, maintenance considerations, high availability and disaster recovery options, and how to scale performance. Various billing considerations and licensing options for SQL Server on Azure virtual machines will be covered in detail.
One student in the first ever IEAzure in 2017 learned how they’d over-estimated their usage and was immediately able to save their company US$48,000/year in Azure costs!
The class will then dive deep into Azure SQL Database, covering its numerous features such as restore services, Dynamic Data Masking, Row-Level Security, Always Encrypted, Query Store, Index Advisor, and Geo-Replication. We’ll also discuss what I call “unsupported features” (things you may be used to the on the box version of SQL Server that Azure SQL Database does not have) and explore the various Azure SQL Database pricing tiers and using the DTU calculator.
You’ll learn how to create Azure SQL Databases and methodologies for migrating your on-premises databases to Azure, different ways of connecting to Azure and methodologies for tuning, plus maintenance considerations and built-in/external monitoring and alerting.
Finally, you’ll get a high-level introduction to additional Azure features such as Azure SQL Database Warehouse, Azure Data Factory, and Power BI.
This course will provide you with enough knowledge and material that when you get back to the office, you’ll feel comfortable to help plan and implement a migration to Azure virtual machines and/or Azure SQL Database.
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Instructors: Tim Radney
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Thursday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Friday
- Detailed agenda:
- 7:45am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break (lunch is provided as part of the class)
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Friday)
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we do end at 5:00pm on Friday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all possible classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are all-day coffee/tea/soda, full breakfast, snacks and buffet lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 16 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Hilton Suites Chicago/Oak Brook. We’ve held more than fifty Immersion Events here since 2011.
- This hotel is 20 minutes from O’Hare airport and is near a large mall with many amenities.
- The hotel has a special rate for our event, for a two-room suite, of US$134/night.
- Please use the reservation link HERE to access the special rate.
- RESERVE YOUR HOTEL NIGHTS EARLY: SQLskills has a LIMITED number of rooms reserved under our group rate and these usually sell out. Even if you’re waiting to officially register for the class – you might want to get your hotel room setup early (ASAP) to ensure that you get the discounted/group rate and that you’re at the hotel where the event is being held. Most importantly, the earlier you get your hotel reservations confirmed, the easier it is for us to add rooms to our block. Thanks so much for helping us out with this!
- The hotel rate includes:
- Onsite parking.
- Wireless internet access for the entire stay.
- Full breakfast on departure morning.
- Full American breakfast during the Immersion Event will be served as part of class from 7:45am until 8:30am.
- Class begins at 8:30am every day.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$1,695.
- Early-bird rate is US$1,495 for registrations received by end-of-day PST Friday, February 23rd, 2018.
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for US$1,345. Please contact us for instructions.
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
- Your class registration can only be canceled up to 6 calendar weeks before the day the class begins, and the cost will be refunded minus a US$250 administration fee (and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable).
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend the class the registration is for, at any time and at no cost.
- Registrations can be transferred to a future class at any time before the day the class starts, but for transfers within two weeks of class, there is a US$300 fee to cover our prepaid event costs. Note: A registration cannot be canceled once it has been transferred to a future class.
- A no-show registration (the attendee does not attend the class) is not eligible for a transfer or refund.
If you have any questions, please contact us.