IE1: Immersion Event on Internals and Performance
Chicago, IL, US: November 11-15, 2013 (SOLD OUT!)
This 5-day class is focused on the core fundamentals and foundation for SQL Server experts. While many folks are just looking for ‘the answer,’ attendees of this class will learn how to derive the answer for themselves. The more you know about how SQL Server works the easier you will be able to respond to performance, design, and corruption problems – as well as solve them!
In addition to internals, this class covers some of the most important elements of good design, indexing and isolation – items core to database scalability and performance. This class provides an excellent knowledge base for all other Immersion Events and the information within it should be considered a pre-requisite for the other courses (although attending this class is not a pre-requisite for attending the others).
SQL Server versions covered:
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2008R2
- SQL Server 2008
Please note: demos will vary between versions and questions can be answered on any releases from SQL Server 2000 through the current release. And, if you’re a glutton for punishment and have even older versions, feel free to ask questions about any version ever released – someone on the team can probably answer it!
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Instructors: Paul S. Randal, Kimberly L. Tripp.
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Monday through Thursday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Friday.
- Detailed agenda:
- 7:45am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Friday)
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we do end at 5:00pm on Friday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions and we often push out the 5:45pm endings earlier in the week if things are running behind but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- Evening events:
- Monday evening: “Meet-n-Greet” in the bar. We’ll open a tab and pick up the first round so we can get to know each other better and wind down from day 1.
- Tuesday evening: Guest presenter (tbd) from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday evening: Free evening
- Thursday evening: Attendee ‘open-mic’ presentations from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content and a hands-on lab DVD that you can use to work through self-paced exercises covering much of what we talk about. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are coffee, breakfast, snacks and lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility.
- Class size is limited to 31 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Hilton Suites Chicago/Oak Brook.
- This hotel is 20 minutes from O’Hare airport and is near a large mall with many amenities. We’ve held fifteen Immersion Events here from 2011-2013.
- The hotel has a special rate of single $115/night, double $125/night, for a two-room suite!
- The hotel rate includes:
- Onsite parking.
- Wireless internet access for the entire stay.
- Full breakfast on Saturday/Sunday.
- Full American breakfast during the Immersion Event will be served as part of class from 7:45 am until 8:30am. Class begins at 8:30 am.
- The hotel booking code is SQLS and the room block can be accessed by clicking HERE. Please book early to avoid disappointment – we have been advised that this is a busy week for the hotel.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$3,795.
- Early-bird rate is US$3,295 for registrations received in 2013 before midnight PST Friday September 27th, 2013
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
- Cancellations prior to October 12th, 2013: fully-refunded minus $100 administration fee and any applicable credit-card processing charges.
- Cancellations from October 12th, 2013 to October 27th, 2013 inclusive (PST): 50% cancellation charge.
- Cancellations from October 28th, 2013 to November 10th, 2013 inclusive (PST): 100% cancellation charge.
If you have any questions, please contact us.