IE1: Immersion Event on Internals and Performance
Tampa, FL, US: February 3-7, 2014
Special Pricing! See below for special pricing for past Immersion Event attendees.
This 5-day class is focused on the core fundamentals and foundation for SQL Server experts. While many folks are just looking for ‘the answer,’ attendees of this class will learn how to derive the answer for themselves. The more you know about how SQL Server works the easier you will be able to respond to performance, design, and corruption problems – as well as solve them!
In addition to internals, this class covers some of the most important elements of good design, indexing and isolation – items core to database scalability and performance. This class provides an excellent knowledge base for all other Immersion Events and the information within it should be considered a pre-requisite for the other courses (although attending this class is not a pre-requisite for attending the others).
SQL Server versions covered:
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2008R2
- SQL Server 2008
Please note: demos will vary between versions and questions can be answered on any releases from SQL Server 2000 through the current release. And, if you’re a glutton for punishment and have even older versions, feel free to ask questions about any version ever released – someone on the team can probably answer it!
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Instructors: Paul S. Randal, Kimberly L. Tripp.
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Monday through Thursday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Friday.
- Detailed agenda:
- 7:45am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Friday)
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we do end at 5:00pm on Friday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions and we often push out the 5:45pm endings earlier in the week if things are running behind but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- Evening events:
- Monday evening: “Meet-n-Greet” in the bar. We’ll open a tab and pick up the first round so we can get to know each other better and wind down from day 1.
- Tuesday evening: Guest presenter (tbd) from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday evening: Free evening
- Thursday evening: Attendee “open-mic” presentations from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content and a hands-on lab DVD that you can use to work through self-paced exercises covering much of what we talk about. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are coffee, breakfast, snacks and lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 36 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Marriott Tampa Westshore.
- This hotel is in an area packed with restaurants, shopping, and entertainment, and has a great outdoor pool!
- Our discounted hotel block/rate expired on January 20 and rooms at our discounted rate may no longer be available. If you are interested in staying at the event hotel, please email Kimberly as soon as possible and provide the following information: name on the reservation, arrival date, departure date, and optionally, your Marriott rewards number. Kimberly will try to see if a room is still available. If not, there are roughly a dozen hotels within walking distance, and Kimberly will provide a list if the Marriott Westshore is unavailable for your dates.
- The hotel rate includes:
- Onsite parking.
- Wireless internet access for the entire stay.
- Full breakfast on Saturday/Sunday.
- Free airport shuttle.
- Full American breakfast during the Immersion Event will be served as part of class from 7:45 am until 8:30am. Class begins at 8:30 am.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$3,795.
- Early-bird rate is US$3,295 for registrations received before midnight PST Friday January 3rd, 2014
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
Special Pricing Options!
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for 75% of the full price (US$2,995). Please contact us for instructions.
- Cancellations prior to December 23rd, 2013: fully-refunded minus $250 administration fee and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable.
- Cancellations from December 23rd, 2013 to January 19th, 2014 inclusive (PST): 50% cancellation charge.
- Cancellations on or after January 20th, 2014 (PST): 100% cancellation charge.
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague or to another class within 12 months of this one.
Registration is closed
If you have any questions, please contact us.