IETLB: Immersion Event on Transactions, Locking, Blocking, Isolation, and Versioning
Live Online: October 9-11, 2018
In many of my courses and lectures, I talk about how unintuitive some features and syntax can be. In terms of development, one of the most complex, confusing, and potentially problematic features is locking. But, it’s not the locks themselves – it’s the way that data is handled. Locks are a necessary evil to ensure that data is consistent, accurate, and appropriately isolated from other users. But, did you realize that your statement’s accuracy is tied to your session’s isolation level? Did you realize that while “read committed” sounds like a perfectly reasonable isolation level in which to execute, it results in phenomena known as inconsistent analysis? Yes, you are only reading committed data – but at what point in time?
What does this all mean? What affects isolation? What affects your transactions? How do you control it? How and why might you want to change your isolation level?
Ultimately, being able to answer all of these questions will not only result in a better understanding of how the system works but also results in a more effective use of both the system and the data. Understanding your options will also allow you to increase statement accuracy, giving you a definable point in time to which a statement reconciles – even allowing you to do real-time analysis in an OLTP system without blocking.
Simply put, this is a course that every developer should attend so that they have a better grasp of what their batches, transactions, and code (in general) are doing as well as how their queries are affecting and affected by locks. For administrators, this course will give you a much better understanding of what’s going on, how to troubleshoot, and how to work with developers to create a system with more accurate data and less blocking!
This class is delivered live, online via streaming. By dedicating only 3 half-days of your time for 9 hours of lecture and up to 4.5 hours of open Q&A, this is an amazing ROI while you can still get work done during your day!
Instructor: Kimberly L. Tripp.
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
Select Quotes From Past Attendees of Kimberly’s Online Classes
- “Kimberly is incredibly knowledgeable and was able to adapt the techniques to all the different scenarios presented to her.”
- “The best educator I’ve ever seen. She makes complex concepts “magically” easy to grasp. Incred-amazing.”
- “Great course. I could hear clearly, the content was relevant to current day problems, and provided clear instruction.”
- “This was REALLY good. Getting to an IE is tough there are only a few a year and more importantly because there are only a few they cover a pretty broad range of information. Since I do mainly database design and query tuning, I can’t justify much beyond IE1 as I don’t do day to day DBA work. Seeing you were offering the online event focused on a specific topic – very large tables – was PERFECT. I know I really need to improve my knowledge of the options in that area. I recalled the PV/PT architecture from IE1 and knew a refresher, coupled with the new information would be perfect. The cost was BEYOND reasonable. The time frame, at only about 1/2 a day, was easy to justify and easy to manage keeping up with regular work while I did it. So this worked out to be a perfect event.” – Todd Everett, USA
- “I’m really glad I decided to participate in this event. I learnt a lot and I already see lots of opportunities to implement some of the strategies at my workplace (after working through all the materials of course :P).” – Ernst Kruger, South Africa
- “Loved the online aspect. It felt like I was there with the question ability and having the questions just answered right there. I felt I had a voice and could ask anything and the ability to watch it later made it totally worth the registration.”
- “Always love to sit at the feet of Kimberly. Always learn a ton.”
- “I really enjoyed the ability to ask questions as the course went along so that I didn’t forget what I wanted to ask while you were teaching. This allowed for questions to come through and class to continue until a good stopping point to answer the questions. Plus having the questions written from other attendees was nice for future reference instead of trying to remember from an in-person class discussion.”
- “Kimberly, I have to tell you that you are hands down the finest educator I have ever met. Your dynamic personality, combined with your depth of knowledge, and passion to fully understand the subject matter are unmatched, in my experience. I feel truly privileged to have had the opportunity to learn from you again and again. You really DO make learning fun. Thank you!” – Mike Petri, USA
- “I learned a lot of new topics and found this class really useful. Usually when I attend a class or an in person event I learn new things but no where near this class. Thanks for a great class.”
- The class will be streamed live through three WebEx meetings and you will receive an email invitation to the WebEx meetings during the week before the class. You will be prompted to download the WebEx application when connecting to the first meeting. Note: your name will appear on the WebEx participant list in the event recordings.
- Class will be spread over three days, from Tuesday, October 9th, 2018 through Thursday, October 11th, 2018.
- Detailed agenda for each day (all times are in Pacific Standard Time)
- 10am to 11:30am: morning session
- 11:30am to 12pm: morning Q&A
- 12pm to 12:30pm: break
- 12:30pm to 2pm: afternoon session
- 2pm to 3pm: afternoon Q&A
- You will receive a PDF of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all possible demo content and any electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- The class will be recorded and you will receive lifetime access to the recordings, including all audio and video, plus the chat window questions in real-time.
- Full price for this online Immersion Event is US$699.
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for US$599. Please contact us for instructions.
- Your class registration can only be canceled up to 1 calendar week before the day the class begins, and the cost will be refunded minus a US$50 administration fee (and 5% credit-card processing charges).
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend the class, up to one day prior to the first WebEx meeting and at no cost, as long as we are notified of the new attendee’s name.
- A no-show registration (the attendee does not attend the class) is not eligible for a transfer or refund.
Click HERE to go to our events registration page, and please make sure to select the correct class from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.