IE0: Immersion Event for the Accidental/Junior DBA
Tampa, FL, US: February 3-5, 2014
Special Pricing! See below for special pricing for past Immersion Event attendees.
Refer Someone! See below for how to earn a $50 Amazon gift card for referring a friend or colleague for this class.
The performance and reliability of line-of-business applications typically relies on a relational database management system (RDBMS) like SQL Server for data storage. This makes SQL Server one of the most important, but often most neglected parts of a business infrastructure. In this three-day course you will learn the basic information necessary to successfully install, configure, and administer SQL Server to ease manageability, maximize performance, and minimize the risk of data loss.
This course will help you learn how to keep the lights on so that SQL Server meets the business requirements for availability and performance, and is especially suited to:
- A server administrator that has to maintain SQL Server as a part of the infrastructure
- An administrator for a line-of-business application such as SharePoint, Microsoft CRM, Great Plains, Dynamics, or Biztalk
- An administrator for one or many non-Microsoft systems that rely on SQL Server
- A junior DBA just getting started with SQL Server
As an Accidental DBA, Involuntary DBA, or any other acronym that you want to apply to your current role that requires you to manage SQL Server, the responsibility for maintaining SQL Server properly is what the business expects from your current role. We’ll show you how to proactively manage SQL Server and prevent problems based on our own real-world client experiences diagnosing line of business applications that rely on SQL Server.
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Monday and Tuesday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Wednesday
- Detailed agenda:
- 7:45am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Wednesday)
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Wednesday: we do end at 5:00pm on Wednesday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions and we often push out the 5:45pm endings earlier in the week if things are running behind but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- Evening events:
- Monday evening: “Meet-n-Greet” in the bar. We’ll open a tab and pick up the first round so we can get to know each other better and wind down from the first day.
- Tuesday evening: Guest presenter (tbd) from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all possible classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are coffee, breakfast, snacks and lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 24 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Marriott Tampa Westshore.
- This hotel is in an area packed with restaurants, shopping, and entertainment, and has a great outdoor pool!
- Our discounted hotel block/rate expired on January 20 and rooms at our discounted rate may no longer be available. If you are interested in staying at the event hotel, please email Kimberly as soon as possible and provide the following information: name on the reservation, arrival date, departure date, and optionally, your Marriott rewards number. Kimberly will try to see if a room is still available. If not, there are roughly a dozen hotels within walking distance, and Kimberly will provide a list if the Marriott Westshore is unavailable for your dates.
- The hotel rate includes:
- Onsite parking.
- Wireless internet access for the entire stay.
- Full breakfast on Saturday/Sunday.
- Free airport shuttle.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$2,245.
- Early-bird rate is US$1,945 for registrations received before midnight PST Friday January 3rd, 2014
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
Special Pricing Options and Referrals
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for 75% of the full price (US$1,675). Please contact us for instructions.
- Refer someone: If you know someone who would benefit from this class, refer them to us and when they register, we’ll give you a $50 Amazon gift card. They or you just need to let us know you’re referring them, and when they register, we’ll match them to your referral and send you the gift card.
- Cancellations prior to December 23rd, 2013: fully-refunded minus $250 administration fee and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable.
- Cancellations from December 23rd, 2013 to January 19th, 2014 inclusive (PST): 50% cancellation charge.
- Cancellations on or after January 20th, 2014 (PST): 100% cancellation charge.
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague or to another class within 12 months of this one.
Registration is closed.
If you have any questions, please contact us.