IEBI: Immersion Event on Business Intelligence
Tampa, FL, US: February 10-14, 2014
Special Pricing! See below for special pricing for past Immersion Event attendees.
Even with little to no knowledge of BI, this course will provide you with immediately-usable, production-level knowledge of BI. The SQL Server training course has been designed for anyone who needs to become familiar with all facets of the BI stack—SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, and Excel. Are you a DBA who wants to better understand how to support BI projects on your servers? Or do you need to jumpstart your skills so you can start building solid, scalable BI solutions? This class might be the perfect way to advance your career and dig deeper into topics that don’t typically get covered in most BI classes.
Maybe you accomplish quite a bit with Excel – but how do you get the data there? Quite a few folks use cut-and-paste, or import from a CSV – but of course there’s a much better, and much more scalable and robust way using SSIS! Relational data warehousing – with lots of aggregate tables – helps you keep your data organized for Excel or any other type of reporting or analysis tool that you might want to use, but some types of business questions are answered more easily when you move your data from the data warehouse into SSAS cubes. Whether you store data in tables or cubes, you have a variety of options in the BI stack to access and analyze the data, but which is best? Learn how to choose the right tool for the task and how to manage a secure and scalable environment for reporting and analysis.
The course starts out in the 100-200 range on Day 1 but moves into the 200-300 range for the remainder of the week. For each technology in the BI stack, you’ll learn basic usage and design principles, followed by more coverage of configuration, performance tuning, and other management tasks than you’ll find in most BI end-to-end classes. The course will not only bridge the gap in your BI knowledge, but will continue on to take you a lot further. If you’ve always wanted to immerse yourself into BI, figure out the end-to-end story, and go behind-the-scenes to learn how to develop and deploy BI solutions, this is the place to be!
SQL Server versions covered:
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2008R2
- SQL Server 2008
Please note: demos will vary between versions and questions can be answered on any releases from SQL Server 2000 through the current release. And, if you’re a glutton for punishment and have even older versions, feel free to ask questions about any version ever released – someone on the team can probably answer it!
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Instructor: Stacia Misner.
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Monday through Thursday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Friday.
- Detailed agenda:
- 7:45am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Friday)
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we do end at 5:00pm on Friday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions and we often push out the 5:45pm endings earlier in the week if things are running behind but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- Evening events:
- Monday evening: “Meet-n-Greet” in the bar. We’ll open a tab and pick up the first round so we can get to know each other better and wind down from day 1.
- Tuesday evening: Guest presenter (tbd) from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday evening: Free evening
- Thursday evening: Attendee “open-mic” presentations from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all classroom demo content on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are coffee, breakfast, snacks and lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 24 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Marriott Tampa Westshore.
- This hotel is in an area packed with restaurants, shopping, and entertainment, and has a great outdoor pool!
- Our discounted hotel block/rate expired on January 20 and rooms at our discounted rate may no longer be available. If you are interested in staying at the event hotel, please email Kimberly as soon as possible and provide the following information: name on the reservation, arrival date, departure date, and optionally, your Marriott rewards number. Kimberly will try to see if a room is still available. If not, there are roughly a dozen hotels within walking distance, and Kimberly will provide a list if the Marriott Westshore is unavailable for your dates.
- The hotel rate includes:
- Onsite parking.
- Wireless internet access for the entire stay.
- Full breakfast on Saturday/Sunday.
- Free airport shuttle.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$3,795.
- Early-bird rate is US$3,295 for registrations received in 2013 before midnight PST Friday January 3rd, 2014
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
Special Pricing Options
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for 75% of the full price (US$2,995). Please contact us for instructions.
- Cancellations prior to December 30th, 2013: fully-refunded minus $250 administration fee and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable.
- Cancellations from December 30th, 2013 to January 26th, 2014 inclusive (PST): 50% cancellation charge.
- Cancellations on or after January 27th, 2014 (PST): 100% cancellation charge.
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague or to another class within 12 months of this one.
Click HERE to go to our events registration page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.