IEPTO1: Immersion Event on Performance Tuning and Optimization – Part 1
Chicago, IL, US: October 7-11, 2019
This 3/400-level, 5-day, SQL Server training class is part one of our two-part, comprehensive training program on SQL Server performance tuning and optimization (with IEPTO2 being the second half). Each week of this course stands alone, but we recommend taking Part 1 before Part 2 as more than 90% of people who attend IEPTO2 first then go back and take IEPTO1.
This class will give you a wealth of practical optimization techniques that you can put into production as soon as you return to work and we ensure you understand *why* and *how* a technique works rather than just what the technique is. This usually means we will explain how SQL Server works internally while discussing a specific topic. Our aim is that you can apply what we teach you to any situation and justify your solution to your peers, management, or clients (yes, we welcome SQL Server consultants in our classes).
As well as optimization techniques, this course will also help with design and architecture so you can prevent performance and scalability problems from happening. The cores of this class are comprehensive coverage of indexing and statistics strategies: a SQL Server workload will not perform well unless these are designed, implemented, and tuned correctly. You will also learn why and how to optimize transaction log operations, tempdb and data file configuration, transactions and isolation levels, and locking and blocking.
All these topics will be addressed on multiple fronts: how SQL Server works, implementation considerations and techniques, common problems, troubleshooting, and resolutions.
This course will cover SQL Server 2005 through SQL Server 2017, and is essential for all SQL Server developers, DBAs, and architects. We will answer all your questions, to whatever depth you want to go.
Please note:Â demos will vary between versions and questions can be answered on any version.
For a detailed agenda clickÂ HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
Quotes From Past Attendees:
Listed below are some verbatim quotes from recent attendees of this class:
- “Amazing learning experience! Having followed SQLskills from afar while developing my SQL Server knowledge, it was eye-opening to learn from Paul and Kimberly in person.”
- “In 20 years of database administration, best performance training I have ever had!”
- “Always the best – Paul and Kimberly, you both rock!”
- “I was a better DBA after the first day!”
- “I loved how all the topics built on top of one another. At the end, I was able to the entire picture. This was the most informative class I have EVER had. Thank you!”
- “I really admire your team approach and enjoyed the different presentation styles.”
- “By far the most useful and educational training I have attended. Aside from the material covered, which was well organized, the discussions and Q&A information was great.”
- “It’s not every day I get to meet experts in the industry. Truly, both of you are gifted with amazing teaching skills.”
- “Immediately applicable information gained, already discussing with those in the office while at training.”
- “No other course I have taken has even come close to matching the knowledge I have gained this week.”
- “Both of you approach these topics with genuine enthusiasm – thank you!”
- “Lots of good material – I would love to take another course with SQLskills (I’d even get a lot of value from repeating this same course!)”
- “Excellent course. I consider myself to be lucky to have attended course presented by the ‘best’ in the world. Not only you guys are extremely knowledgeable, but had the ability to break it down.”
- “This was the first course where I was made to feel extremely welcomed, just as a person or guest when they come for a visit. Thank you for your time and effort in making this a great valuable experience.”
- “This was the most unique and amazing course I’ve ever attended. It’s not often that you get the opportunity to learn from two individuals who are so knowledgeable, friendly, and truly *care* that you understand the material. Thank you both so much!”
- “Your overall training methodology is wonderful, and you both are very easy to talk to and ask questions. The training dynamic between you is awesome as it makes training productive but enjoyable.”
- “The difference of knowing how to cook in your own kitchen and then being taught how to be a chef in a 5-star restaurant.”
- “Fantastic knowledge provided by Paul and Kimberly. Answered all of my questions, whether it was high or low level. No arrogance. Paul and Kimberly are very enthusiastic and want to share their knowledge with a genuine and professional approach.”
- “Could we make IEPTO1 mandatory for our application vendors?”
- “Excellent. Mind blown. Can’t wait to take another SQLskills class.”
- “Great course! Impressive scope and depth of knowledge, very well delivered with real-world examples and practical takeaways.”
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Monday through Thursday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Friday.
- Detailed agenda:
- 7:45am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break (lunch is provided as part of the class)
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Friday)
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we do end at 5:00pm on Friday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions and we often push out the 5:45pm endings earlier in the week if things are running behind but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotelâ€™s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all possible classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are all-day coffee/tea/soda, full breakfast, snacks and buffet lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 28 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in theÂ Hilton Suites Chicago/Oak Brook.Â We’ve held more than fifty Immersion Events here since 2011.
- This hotel is 20 minutes from O’Hare airport and is near a large mall with many amenities.
- The hotel has a special rate for our event, for a two-room suite, of US$135/night.
- Please use the reservation linkÂ HERE to access the special rate.
- RESERVE YOUR HOTEL NIGHTS EARLY: SQLskills has a LIMITED number of rooms reserved under our group rate and these usually sell out. Even if youâ€™re waiting to officially register for the class â€“ you might want to get your hotel room setup early (ASAP) to ensure that you get the discounted/group rate and that youâ€™re at the hotel where the event is being held. Most importantly, the earlier you get your hotel reservations confirmed, the easier it is for us to add rooms to our block. Thanks so much for helping us out with this!
- The hotel rate includes:
- Onsite parking.
- Wireless internet access for the entire stay.
- Full breakfast onÂ departure morning.
- Full American breakfast during the Immersion Event will be served as part of class from 7:45am until 8:30am.
- Class begins at 8:30am every day.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$3,995.
- Early-bird rate is US$3,495 for registrations received by end-of-day PST Friday, September 6th, 2019.
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for US$3,195. PleaseÂ contact usÂ for instructions.
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please seeÂ the F.A.Q.
- Your class registration can only be canceled up to 6 calendar weeks before the day the class begins, andÂ the cost will be refunded minus a US$250 administration fee (and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable).
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend the class the registration is for, at any time and at no cost.
- Registrations can be transferred to a future class at any time before the day the class starts, but for transfers within two weeks of class, there is a US$750 fee to cover our prepaid event costs. Note: A registration cannot be canceled once it has been transferred to a future class.
- A no-show registration (the attendee does not attend the class) is not eligible for a transfer or refund.
ClickÂ HEREÂ to go to our events registration page, and please make sure to select the correct class from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
If you have any questions, pleaseÂ contact us.