IEPTO1 (formerly IE1): Immersion Event on Performance Tuning and Optimization – Part 1
Canberra, ACT, Australia: December 15-19, 2014
This 3/400-level, 5-day, SQL Server training class is part one of our two-part, comprehensive training program on SQL Server performance tuning and optimization (with IEPTO2 being the second half). Each week of this course stands alone, but we recommend taking Part 1 before Part 2 as more than 90% of people who attend IEPTO2 first then go back and take IEPTO1.
This class will give you a wealth of practical optimization techniques that you can put into production as soon as you return to work and we ensure you understand *why* and *how* a technique works rather than just what the technique is. This usually means we will explain how SQL Server works internally while discussing a specific topic. Our aim is that you can apply what we teach you to any situation and justify your solution to your peers, management, or clients (yes, we welcome SQL Server consultants in our classes).
As well as optimization techniques, this course will also help with design and architecture so you can prevent performance and scalability problems from happening. The cores of this class are comprehensive coverage of indexing and statistics strategies: a SQL Server workload will not perform well unless these are designed, implemented, and tuned correctly. You will also learn why and how to optimize transaction log operations, tempdb and data file configuration, transactions and isolation levels, and locking and blocking.
All these topics will be addressed on multiple fronts: how SQL Server works, implementation considerations and techniques, common problems, troubleshooting, and resolutions.
This course will cover SQL Server 2005 through SQL Server 2014, and is essential for all SQL Server developers, DBAs, and architects. We will answer all your questions, to whatever depth you want to go.
Please note: demos will vary between versions and questions can be answered on any releases from SQL Server 2000 through the current release. And, if you’re a glutton for punishment and have even older versions, feel free to ask questions about any version ever released – someone on the team can probably answer it!
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:30pm Monday through Friday, and includes continental breakfast, lunch, coffee/tea/snacks throughout the day.
- Detailed agenda:
- 8:00am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:35pm Lunch break
- 1:20pm Class resumes
- 2:35pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:10pm 15-minute break
- 5:30pm Class ends
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we don’t end very early on Friday and we use every minute of our schedule, often running a few minutes over. For most deliveries, we end right around 5:30pm. The specific time depends highly on questions and we can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different for travel times on Friday evening. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport. It might prove less stressful to fly out on a red-eye or on Saturday morning.
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content and a hands-on lab DVD that you can use to work through self-paced exercises covering much of what we talk about. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are coffee/tea, breakfast, snacks, and lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 32 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held at Cliftons Canberra (download the Venue Guide from their site for more information).
- Hotels nearby include (no nearby hotels have a Cliftons discount):
- Please note that we are unable to provide assistance with hotel and travel arrangements.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$3,995.
- Early-bird rate is US$3,495 for registrations received by midnight PST Friday October 31st, 2014
- Any discount code entered will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
- Cancellations prior to November 3rd, 2014: fully-refunded minus $250 administration fee and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable.
- Cancellations from November 3rd, 2014 to November 30th, 2014 inclusive (PST): 50% cancellation charge.
- Cancellations on or after December 1st, 2014 (PST): 100% cancellation charge.
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend this class, or for you to attend another class within 12 months of this one (if within the 100% cancellation period, there is a $750 fee for transferring to another class).
Click HERE to go to our events registration page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.