IE2: Immersion Event on Performance Tuning
Tampa, FL, US: February 10-14, 2014
Special Pricing! See below for special pricing for past Immersion Event attendees.
This 5-day class is focused on the many areas surrounding performance. While a class such the Immersion Event on Internals and Design should be taken prior to taking this class, this class also stands alone for anyone wanting to focus on some of the most important aspects of performance tuning for SQL Server.
There are many aspects to performance tuning – some should be done when the database is designed, prototyped and tested, while others must be implemented over time. Why can’t you do all of this during design? Data churn varies, user needs change and what the users told you during development often turns out to be untrue; the end result is that workloads change. The key to long term success is being able to understand, recognize and respond to these changes.
In terms of resource troubleshooting, we’ll introduce key concepts that explain how your SQL Server is performing – IO, SQLOS, waits, queues, and inconsistent plans – and explain how to investigate performance issues related to them. We’ll focus on features that allow better analysis and/or control to constrained and protect critical workloads and perform very in-depth troubleshooting.
SQL Server versions covered:
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2008R2
- SQL Server 2008
Please note: demos will vary between versions and questions can be answered on any releases from SQL Server 2000 through the current release. And, if you’re a glutton for punishment and have even older versions, feel free to ask questions about any version ever released – someone on the team can probably answer it!
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Monday through Thursday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Friday.
- Detailed agenda:
- 7:45am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Friday)
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we do end at 5:00pm on Friday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions and we often push out the 5:45pm endings earlier in the week if things are running behind but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- Evening events:
- Monday evening: “Meet-n-Greet” in the bar. We’ll open a tab and pick up the first round so we can get to know each other better and wind down from day 1.
- Tuesday evening: Guest presenter (tbd) from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday evening: Free evening
- Thursday evening: Attendee “open-mic” presentations from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content and a hands-on lab DVD that you can use to work through self-paced exercises covering much of what we talk about. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are coffee, breakfast, snacks and lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 36 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Marriott Tampa Westshore.
- This hotel is in an area packed with restaurants, shopping, and entertainment, and has a great outdoor pool!
- Our discounted hotel block/rate expired on January 20 and rooms at our discounted rate may no longer be available. If you are interested in staying at the event hotel, please email Kimberly as soon as possible and provide the following information: name on the reservation, arrival date, departure date, and optionally, your Marriott rewards number. Kimberly will try to see if a room is still available. If not, there are roughly a dozen hotels within walking distance, and Kimberly will provide a list if the Marriott Westshore is unavailable for your dates.
- The hotel rate includes:
- Onsite parking.
- Wireless internet access for the entire stay.
- Full breakfast on Saturday/Sunday.
- Free airport shuttle.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$3,795.
- Early-bird rate is US$3,295 for registrations received in 2013 before midnight PST Friday January 3rd, 2014
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
Special Pricing Options!
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for 75% of the full price (US$2,995). Please contact us for instructions.
- Cancellations prior to December 30th, 2013: fully-refunded minus $250 administration fee and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable.
- Cancellations from December 30th, 2013 to January 26th, 2014 inclusive (PST): 50% cancellation charge.
- Cancellations on or after January 27th, 2014 (PST): 100% cancellation charge.
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague or to another class within 12 months of this one.
Click HERE to go to our events registration page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.