IEPTO2 (formerly IE2): Immersion Event on Performance Tuning and Optimization – Part 2
Sydney, NSW, Australia: February 23-27, 2015
Note: this is the only class we will be teaching in Australia in 2015
Special Pricing: see below for deep discount price for prior students!!
This 3/400-level, 5-day, SQL Server training class is part two of our two-part, comprehensive training program on SQL Server performance tuning and optimization (with IEPTO1 being the first half). Each week of this course stands alone, but we recommend taking Part 1 before Part 2, as more than 90% of people who attend IEPTO2 first then go back and take IEPTO1.
This class will give you a wealth of practical optimization techniques that you can put into production as soon as you return to work and we ensure you understand *why* and *how* a technique works rather than just what the technique is. Our aim is that you can apply what we teach you to any situation and justify your solution to your peers, management, or clients (yes, we welcome SQL Server consultants in our classes).
Building on the knowledge from IEPTO1, this course will teach you how to analyze your workload to figure out where performance problems and then how to fix them. Data churn varies, user needs change, and what the users told you during development often turns out to be untrue; the end result is that your tuning strategy needs to keep up. The key to long term success is being able to understand, recognize, and respond to these changes.
The core of this class is understanding resource usage and we will cover in-depth all the areas of concern for a SQL Server workload: I/O, CPU usage, memory usage, query plans, statement execution, parameter sniffing and procedural code, deadlocking, and the plan cache. All these topics will be addressed on multiple fronts: how SQL Server works, implementation considerations and techniques, and common problems, troubleshooting, and resolutions.
You will learn how to use specific tools and techniques for analyzing SQL Server: creating and using performance baselines, benchmarking tools, wait and latch statistics, Extended Events, DMVs, and PerfMon. These techniques will be highly adaptable to whatever situation you encounter and you will understand not just how to capture performance data but also how to interpret it, so you can derive answers to your own performance problems rather than relying on someone giving you the answer.
This course will cover SQL Server 2005 through SQL Server 2014, and is essential for all SQL Server developers, DBAs, and architects. We will answer all your questions, to whatever depth you want to go.
Please note: demos will vary between versions and questions can be answered on any releases from SQL Server 2000 through the current release. And, if you’re a glutton for punishment and have even older versions, feel free to ask questions about any version ever released – someone on the team can probably answer it!
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:30pm Monday through Friday, and includes continental breakfast, lunch, coffee/tea/snacks throughout the day.
- Detailed agenda:
- 8:00am Breakfast
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:35pm Lunch break
- 1:20pm Class resumes
- 2:35pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:10pm 15-minute break
- 5:30pm Class ends
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we don’t end very early on Friday and we use every minute of our schedule, often running a few minutes over. For most deliveries, we end right around 5:30pm. The specific time depends highly on questions and we can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different for travel times on Friday evening. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport. It might prove less stressful to fly out on a red-eye or on Saturday morning.
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content and a hands-on lab DVD that you can use to work through self-paced exercises covering much of what we talk about. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are coffee/tea, breakfast, snacks, and lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility).
- Class size is limited to 36 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held at Cliftons Sydney (download the Venue Guide from their site for more information).
- The Menzies Sydney hotel has a general Cliftons discount (quote Cliftons when you book: +61 2 9299 1000).
- If The Menzies does not have any availability, other hotels nearby (none of which have Clifton’s discounts) include:
- Please note that we are unable to provide assistance with hotel and travel arrangements.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$3,995.
- Early-bird rate is US$3,495 for registrations received by midnight PST Wednesday December 31st, 2014
- Discount price of US$2,750 for prior students!! Send email for details.
- Any discount code entered will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
- Cancellations prior to January 26th, 2015: fully-refunded minus US$250 administration fee and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable.
- Cancellations from January 26th, 2015 to February 8th, 2015 inclusive (PST): 50% cancellation charge.
- Cancellations on or after February 9th, 2015 (PST): 100% cancellation charge.
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend this class.
Click HERE to go to our events registration page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.