IEPTO2: Immersion Event on Performance Tuning and Optimization – Part 2
London, UK: September 17-21, 2018 (** SOLD OUT! **)
This 3/400-level, 5-day, SQL Server training class is part two of our two-part, comprehensive training program on SQL Server performance tuning and optimization (with IEPTO1 being the first half). Each week of this course stands alone, but we recommend taking Part 1 before Part 2, as more than 90% of people who attend IEPTO2 first then go back and take IEPTO1.
This class will give you a wealth of practical optimization techniques that you can put into production as soon as you return to work and we ensure you understand *why* and *how* a technique works rather than just what the technique is. Our aim is that you can apply what we teach you to any situation and justify your solution to your peers, management, or clients (yes, we welcome SQL Server consultants in our classes).
Building on the knowledge from IEPTO1, this course will teach you how to analyze your workload to figure out where performance problems and then how to fix them. Data churn varies, user needs change, and what the users told you during development often turns out to be untrue; the end result is that your tuning strategy needs to keep up. The key to long term success is being able to understand, recognize, and respond to these changes.
The core of this class is understanding resource usage and we will cover in-depth all the areas of concern for a SQL Server workload: I/O, CPU usage, memory usage, query plans, statement execution, parameter sniffing and procedural code, deadlocking, and the plan cache. All these topics will be addressed on multiple fronts: how SQL Server works, implementation considerations and techniques, and common problems, troubleshooting, and resolutions.
You will learn how to use specific tools and techniques for analyzing SQL Server: Query Store, wait and latch statistics, Extended Events, DMVs, Distributed Replay, and PerfMon. These techniques will be highly adaptable to whatever situation you encounter and you will understand not just how to capture performance data but also how to interpret it, so you can derive answers to your own performance problems rather than relying on someone giving you the answer.
This course will cover SQL Server 2005 through SQL Server 2017, and is essential for all SQL Server developers, DBAs, and architects. We will answer all your questions, to whatever depth you want to go.
Please note: demos will vary between versions and questions can be answered on any version.
For a detailed agenda click HERE.
If you need help justifying training to your organization, we can help you:
- Letter to your boss explaining why SQLskills training is worthwhile
- Community blog posts about our classes
- Immersion Event FAQ
Quotes From Past Attendees:
Listed below are some verbatim quotes from recent attendees of this class:
- “Overall great! Lots of action items for me to take back and check out in my environments.”
- “The SQLskills training courses are excellent! Thank you for offering such an outstanding set of courses dedicated to SQL Server!”
- “Most DBAs would love to be an knowledgeable as any of the SQLskills employees.”
- “The SQLskills classes never disappoint. So much information is presented in a short amount of time but that is so much better than most classes with a lot of free time and fluff.”
- “Awesome course! Awesome instructors! Awesome event overall! The SQLskills courses are the best overall intensive courses for SQL Server.”
- “By far the best training I have ever attended.”
- “A fire hose to be sure. But the excellent notes and demo access make this probably the most valuable class I have ever attended.”
- “Lots of deep-dive content. It was intense, but I learned a lot.”
- “Excellent training. Learn a lot and will help grow my career as a SQL DBA.”
- “So much useful and new information!”
- “Great week. Great presentations. Great presenters.”
- “A great course with much to take back to the office. Would recommend SQLskills to anyone and everyone.”
- “I feel like a different DBA. I feel confident and ready to tackle anything.”
- “All good – enjoyed the course hugely.”
- “Having worked with SQL Server for a number of years, I had lots of questions/gaps in my knowledge/product features I wanted to know more about. I feel the course fulfilled all of my training needs and more.”
- Class will run from 8:30am-5:45pm Monday through Thursday and 8:30am-5:00pm on Friday.
- Detailed agenda:
- 8:30am Class begins
- 9:45am 15-minute break
- 11:15am 15 minute break
- 12:30pm Lunch break (lunch is provided as part of the class)
- 1:30pm Class resumes
- 2:45pm 15-minute break with dessert
- 4:15pm 15-minute break
- 5:45pm Class ends (5:00pm on Friday)
- 8:30am Class begins
- For those of you planning air travel and departure times after the class completion on Friday: we do end at 5:00pm on Friday and we use every minute of that schedule, and often we run a few minutes over. For most deliveries we end between 5:00pm and 5:15pm. This depends on questions and we often push out the 5:45pm endings earlier in the week if things are running behind but I can honestly say that we’ve never ended early. Our general recommendation is for you to purchase tickets with departures no earlier than 8:00pm. However, each city/location may be a little different. Consider contacting the hotel (or the hotel’s website) for more specific insight into travel times and specific travel options to the airport.
- Monday evening: “Meet-n-Greet” in the bar. We’ll open a tab and pick up the first round so we can get to know each other better and wind down from the first day.
- You will receive printed materials for all of the lecture content. Additionally, after the event ends, we will provide all possible classroom demo content and electronic whiteboard slides on our website as a zip file.
- Also included in your registration fee are all-day coffee/tea, snacks and buffet lunch. On the registration page, please let us know if you are vegetarian (other dietary requirements are your own responsibility). Note: pre-class breakfast is not provided unless you are staying at the hotel.
- Class size is limited to 42 students.
- The Immersion Event will be held in the Marriott in Kensington (London).
- This hotel is well placed for transport and tourism in London.
- The hotel has a special rate for our events at 185 GBP for single occupancy (*including* VAT). NOTE: This rate ends July 15th and we cannot add rooms at the special rate after that. Please book your hotel as early as possible.
- Please use this link to access the special rate.
- The hotel rate includes:
- Wireless internet
- Full English breakfast every day
- Please note that we are unable to provide assistance with hotel and travel arrangements.
- Full price for the Immersion Event is US$3,995 plus VAT where required.
- Early-bird rate is US$3,495 plus VAT where required for registrations received by end-of-day PST Friday, July 20th, 2018.
- Past attendee price: If you’ve attended an Immersion Event in the past, you can register any time for US$3,295 plus VAT where required. Please contact us for instructions.
- Important: VAT Since we are a US supplier we are categorized as a reverse charge supplier for all UK businesses.
- For UK businesses, you must self-account for the VAT charge; if your country is listed as UK, we will NOT charge VAT and you will be directed to online credit card/wire transfer processing for your payment at the time of registration.
- If you are outside of the UK, we must charge VAT. The VAT rate is 20%. For non-UK businesses, we will send you a VAT invoice, with our VAT number included.
- For all credit card charges, you will be charged in US$ (with VAT, if applicable) and your credit card statement will reflect the charge in your home currency. If you are paying VAT an invoice will be sent to you with your payment details in GBP – conversion from US$ to GBP done on the day of credit card processing.
- Any discount code entered (for instance, for past attendees) will be reflected in the price during registration.
- For general discount information please see the F.A.Q.
- Your class registration can only be canceled up to 6 calendar weeks before the day the class begins, and the cost will be refunded minus a US$250 administration fee (and 5% credit-card processing charges, where applicable).
- Registrations can be transferred to a colleague to attend the class the registration is for, at any time and at no cost.
- A no-show registration (the attendee does not attend the class) is not eligible for a transfer or refund.
If you have any questions, please contact us.